photo album Photo Album  and Log log

Week 1   Week 2   Week 3   Week 4

Last week

U June 24



See "Hobbies" for a detailed report of Field Day. After we were done with Field Day at 3pm local time, we drove down to the little convenience store down the road to get OJ and milk. Upon our return, I fell promptly to sleep and slept till Michael awakened me for supper.

After supper, we called Ken and arranged to meet him at his boat at the Armdale Yacht Club at 10:30 tomorrow! We went to bed early this night.


M June 25



Today was a busy full day from the start. We packed Penny's things and our jackets and loaded them into the car in the morning. We followed Ken's instructions and only made a couple of wrong turns on the way to the Armdale Yacht Club. We didn't find his sloop right away, but after a call on the cell phone, he met us. 

Ken is a retired pilot, sailor, and photographer whom I had met through my connections with Photoshop, the newsgroup, and my art contests. After his wife Rosalie provisioned us well, and i had settled Penny into a safe place below, we were off into the North West Arm, an inlet just west of Halifax. 

Ken's boat is a 36' sloop called the Tazar III. It is a beautiful white fibreglass boat with lots of wood trim. A place for everything, of course. There is a fridge and a stove. The stove is on a gimbal (sp?) which is a system that keeps its surface level no matter what the boat does. There is a head, of course, which comes with elaborate flushing instructions. <g> 


Tazar III underway.. Well, actually, on her way to the other side of the yacht club to fuel up. I was not on the boat yet. <g>

Ken  Ken holding Penny

  fisherman      Halifax  lobster traps 

  leaving the port in the Upper Arm  cows from the harbor    Ken and Michael 

It was foggy and a wee bit rainy at the start, and chilly. Our light raincoats (my new one!) were just perfect. We sailed out past Fleming Park and its Memorial Tower, past many magnificent mansions, most of which had boats parked on the water. 

lighthouse in the harbor  Ken and Janee  ;)

We sailed around Point Pleasant Park and Martello Tower into Halifax Harbour. Ice cream was next on the agenda, and we did it right! We went to a little place called "Cows" which has a boat dock right to it! After we parked the boat and had our ice cream (I got Cow Crunch and Penny had vanilla which she just ate a little of.), Michael got a photo of me clowning around atop their cow statue.

Janee clowning on the cow at our ice cream stop. You can see the Tazar III in the background where we had parked it.

 Janee on the bow of the boat  on the Tazar III  Janee holding the rope.. errr... line... for Ken 

  falling building    Welcome to Halifax, the flags spell.  

We walked up the street and into some of the little shops along there. This was when Penny and I had our bathroom stops at the Sheraton. 

Ken, Michael, and Penny  

Michael steering the boat


Back on the boat, we headed on further up Halifax Harbour, into the Narrows and under the two bridges. This is where i got the unusual photo of the bridge's underside!

an unusual view of the A. Murray Mackay Bridge. I was lying on my back on the bow.


We turned around in the Bedford Basin and then headed back around the way we had come. What a wonderful time! Michael steered the boat most of the time, taking direction from Ken about how to steer to make the most of the wind in the sail. You may notice, by the way, that we just have one sail going in these pictures. That is the jib sail. Ken's mainsail is still being fixed up and he expects to get it ready and put up tomorrow. 
T June 26



We woke up today and realized that this had to be our last day with Penny. Our little dog was so weak that she could barely hold herself up to do her morning duty. After 15 years, we decided that we had to say goodbye. At breakfast we had a banana, Penny's favorite food, and offered her a bite. She would only lick at it. I mashed a bit in my fingers and she licked longer, but then stopped.

Barry at the campground recommended a vet and we drove Penny there. During the time that we had to wait, we said tearful goodbyes. We did have a funny moment when I had set a kleenex too close to her and she grabbed it and began to chew it. She was a chewer from the beginning to the end; she had never even slowed down.

She had always been such a lively, active, playful, and loving little dog, it had been hard for us to see her lose the active and lively part. 

So we are having a sad day today. 


Penny right before we said goodbye.
6/6/86 - 6/26/01


W June 27


We left early this morning to meet Ken at the yacht club. We piled all of our gear for overnight onboard and by 11:30 we were underway, fully provisioned with food that Ken's wife Rosalie had fixed for us.


Tazar III underway.. Well, actually, on her way to the other side of the yacht club to fuel up. I was not on the boat yet. <g>

We started out sailing southeast out of the Northwest Arm, a section of the Halifax Harbor. At this point the water was gentle little swells, no waves, really. 

As we sailed on southeast going past Herring Cove, Ketch Harbour, Crystal Crescent Beach, though, the water was really quite choppy, with some waves at 7 feet or more. No one actually got sick, but Ken and I were a little green at one point. I wish that i'd been able to take some pics of these waves, but i just couldn't.



lighthouse. The sea still had not yet become really choppy. 


Martello Tower in the Point Pleasant Park

Ken doing some calculations to get our position. Michael at the helm 

  Ken smiling as Michael steers correctly for once. <g>

lobster traps  granite outcroppings abound in Nova Scotia 

  Fishing boats in Terrence Bay  Janee laughing while she watches for whales    Janee laughing at something Ken said


Michael enjoyed navigating the boat, learning quickly how the waves affected the heading on the boat. Ken told him which way to steer and managed the sails. I brought him Coke and Michael Fanta Orange when they so requested. Remaining standing on a sailboat in a choppy sea such as this was TOUGH though. 
When we arrived at Terrence Bay, we dropped anchor. This peaceful bit of water was an ideal place for the night after our exciting day of sailing.

After our supper, I took these pictures of a pair of gulls who had taken interest in us.

Wonderful time, beautiful day!!


We asked the man in this boat about conditions of a passage in the cove.   

  Janee watching for whales  

a military vessel  

Once the sea calmed, I steered a little. 

  Michael at the helm


gull  gull   gulls 

  gull  gull

  gulls  gull


R June 28


We woke up this morning to the sound of mosquitoes! Eeek! <g> I started slapping them, then Michael awoke and slapped a few. We were wide awake by then and sneaked out to the head, thus awakening Ken. "Why in the hell are we up at 6:30?" Ken grumbled as he ate his Frosted Flakes. 
I loved the peace of the inlet in the early morning and captured these pictures at the right.

in Terrence Bay 

  reflection on the smooth water of Terrence Bay

a boat we came pretty close to  beautiful house in a beautiful setting! 

  lighthouse near the Upper Arm  one of many buoys we passed by

  Janee demonstrating her bowlin's knot  lighthouse on  Sambro Island.  

  Janee at the helm for a few minutes when things were really calm. <g>

The sea was quite calm today, a very different scene than the one from yesterday. There was one moment of real excitement though, when two of Ken's lines to the jib  became tangled and were whipping and snaking violently as he tried to recover and straighten them. 
We got back to the Upper Arm and the Armdale Yacht Club and secured the boat at Ken's dock. We were all pretty pooped, but managed to lug all of our overnight gear and some of the food we hadn't eaten off the boat and into the cars. 

We followed Ken to his house where his wife Rosalie had prepared a very interesting and delicious feast for us. (Read about this here.)

We got home close to midnight, tired, but exhilarated from our wonderful first experience of sailing.

Sailing up the Upper Arm.. almost home!

F June 29


We slept in a little this morning and then drove over to Peggy's Cove, a distance of about 50km. We found a quaint little working fishing village with tourist shops and a few restaurants, views of the cove and the bay. 

We went to the Sou'wester and had a great lunch/supper which you can read about here. :P


Peggy's Cove  Peggy's Cove  Janee in front of the lighthouse at Peggy's Cove  Lighthouse at Peggy's Cove 

  Michael on the granite at Peggy's Cove  Lobstering boats at Peggy's Cove, NS  offloading mackerel at Peggy's Cove   

We agreed that this sort of looks like a pelvis. It is actually a piece of driftwood!  Rosebud


S June 30


Today was a driving day. We drove well over 300 miles, from Upper Sackville NS, near Halifax, to Woodstock NB, right on the border with Maine. The weather varied widely. We started out with jackets and sunglasses and ended up in short sleeves and windshield wipers. 

We drove part of the way along the St. John's River, a beautiful drive punctuated by quaint little churches and houses, pretty farms with rolling hills, and forests of pine and birch. We saw 2 deer and an eagle's nest that had a little eagle's head peeking out!

The driving was pretty easy. We did much of it on Canada's Trans-Canada Highway, some of which was 2 lane, but all of which was pretty easy to drive. In general we have found that the roads in Canada are more difficult to manage than are the ones in the US. I think that the difference is that in the US, the road makers assume nothing. In Canada, they assume that we know what we are doing as we drive, which is not always the case!


We found the place where we wanted to stay and stopped to phone in a reservation, but kept getting a message that said they would call us back. We were at a pay phone and didn't want to wait around for a call-back, so we decided to try our luck. 

As luck would have it, when we arrived here at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Camp Resort, they had just 2 spots left, one that they deemed perfect for us. We drove to the site and pulled *up* into it. We were 12 inches off-level front  to back and 5 inches off-level from left to right. We used all the wood we had and even dug a little in the gravel in our vain attempt to level the rig.

When we went to the office and reported our problem, the campground owner, a most pleasant gentleman, was summoned and he brought a rick of wood and tried to help us level. 


Finally, in desperation, I suggested that perhaps we could be allowed to park in the big lot by the office. He agreed and said that we could even use his electricity from the shop. 

We are now in this really laughable "site", muddy gravel with a basketball goal on one side of us (where the boys are always running across our "site" to retrieve their ball, and a go-cart track on the other. Not only that, we didn't even manage to escape the campfires. Even though there is no site within 200 feet of us, we must be downwind of ALL of them and their damned smoky campfires. Yick.

Moreover, Michael discovered that the cord that they had given us had its polarity reversed, but he discovered this before we  destroyed any of our delicate onboard electronics. We ended up not using their power at all.



Yogi's gang

They did set us up a picnic table, in an attempt to make it at least look like we were in an actual site. Here is the owner with the young women who brought us our table.

"Well," we thought," we will certainly not be charged for a site, since we don't have one." Wrong again. Michael went to the office and was refunded just $2 for the site. "No service" sites are $25 and full-service are $27. Unbelievable.

Week 1   Week 2   Week 3   Week 4